26 January 2012

Do we have the libretto?

Ópera
Photo by; Miguel Tarso


I love opera.

I'm lucky enough to have parents who also enjoy performing arts a lot, so I basically grew up watching Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella ballets and when I'm older, enjoying the sopranos and tenors and baritones in Macbeth, Carmen, La Traviata and many more. I was also lucky enough to have a best friend that adores opera and ballet as much as I do. So I don't remember a year of my life went by without seeing a performance at the opera house, which I love so much.

I can understand if a person is not just used to going to see a performance and not enjoys it as much as I do; but I simply get into a rage act when one claims that opera is (and I quote) "so damn boring and stupid. It's just people yelling at each other". If you don't enjoy it, then simply don't go and see an opera. But if you start bashing the masterpieces in front of me, you and I have a bone to pick. And honestly, I can't think of a single person who wouldn't appreciate Pavarotti's voice. Seriously.

I have so many favorite opera singers and bless the gift of internet, now we can all manage to listen to the best voices of history in our own bedrooms. But the charm of the historical opera houses and the rich feeling of red velvet curtains and golden ornaments are priceless.

Do you like opera and what are your favorites, if you you have any? xx

9 comments:

  1. I have never been to an opera before, but it sounds like such an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Opera nights;) Glad to know that we have something in common.
    Have a Cupcake sweet weekend!
    http://gonchagoncha.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to an opera but every year I tell myself I'm going to go. I think our opera here does 2 different operas a year. I recently found out that a friend used to have season tickets and really enjoyed it so at least now I know who's coming with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, you are so lucky to have been to so many performances! I have only been to the Opera once, to see Madame Butterfly, but it just blew me away. I really want to go again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harriet: I've never seen Madame Butterfly! Lucky you. Hope you get to go to a new performance soon, there were great operas in London this season * jealous face here* xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the most beautiful voices of all time, singing an amazing arya:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRaMOka3xzo

    You should listen to this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kerem: Renee Flemming harikadır <3 En sevdiğim arya bu zaten :D Ama Callas'ın versiyonu favorim hala.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Callas versiyonu da çok güzel evet. Callas'ı da çok severim ama Flemming'in sesindeki romantizm ve derinlik hiç kimsede yok bence. Bence tabii :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love opera too! I am so happy every time I meet someone who do love opera, classic music and musicals lol

    Such a shame we missed each other. I am heading to London soon and would love to go somewhere together :)

    VIEW FROM HEELS

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a word: