15 January 2012

Keep Calm and Carry On

Blitz


I don't think I can express how obsessed I am with The Blitz.

The decades themselves (30s-40s) are already very appealing on countless levels but WWII is something I can never ignore. It's possibly because I had far too many lectures of WWI and used to be sick to my bones whenever I heard a single word about it. WWI is a great part of the history of my country since it lead to our freedom and the establishment of the republic that we're living in. So I can assure you every average person can tell you the story with pretty much the same expressions, which is kind of funny.

But Turkey was neutral during WWII (thank God or we'd probably be on our knees by the end of the first year of the war) so besides the general information, we never got really into the depths of how Germany and Russia went bat shit over Europe then the world. (I wonder what would happen if the lessons were told with this language. Any hoo...) (And then I went to the university to study Politics and International Relations and there was more classes about WWII, European History, Russian History and all the mess of the world history than I can deal with, but that's another story.)

But this war is such a big part of the modern history and (I'm sorry but) look how chic those people were. I am perfectly aware of the fact that there is nothing classy and fashionable about a war but the results of this era are too good to ignore. The posters, the military clothes, the campaign ads, the books, the music... I can't get enough of them. And the very favorite is The London Blitz, of course.

People who knew me should have seen me in the Imperial War Museum. (We had just a few minutes of trouble finding this gigantic building but I could go back there every single day.) The British people are freaking EXPERTS on how to make a museum out of their history. It's so fantastic that I burst into literal tears whenever I find something creative and fun to explore. Even though the British Museum and Natural History Museum are all extraordinary places to visit, Museum of London and IWM will always be my favorites, I'm afraid. Be sure to see them if you go to London. I've been to MoL 3 times and... Well.

IWM was the promised land to me because of my WWII and The Blitz obsession, obviously. My face could light up the whole place when we were in the Blitz Experience part of the museum. Trench Experience was also lovely, I wish they were museums all on their own. It's a pity I couldn't see the Cabinet War Rooms this time since we were out of time, but next time, I'll make sure of it.

I took a million photos and I was so excited that I couldn't walk properly; so I kept running around in the museum, which I'm sure was a ridiculous sight to see for the staff. I almost knocked someone over when I saw The Blitz Experience sign on the wall. I need to learn how to control myself in these places. Well, at least I successfully behaved and resisted the urge to 'hug' a WWI plane.

Put me into a war museum and you are fine, seriously.

And although I could buy every single book from the shop of the museum, I had to behave there as well. But this is as far as I could go, behaving myself. I'm not sure how successful that part went; but here you go. My little Blitz treasure.
(Sure to be expanded when I'm in London and IWM again. Stay tuned.)


Blitz
Blitz
Blitz
Blitz
Blitz
Blitz
Blitz
Blitz


And it's still snowing here, there is a wonderful sight outside. The snow got heavier since I took the photo. I just want to cuddle up with my books with dreadful photos and wonderful posters, a cup of tea and admire my socks. My mum told that they look like Fimbles. She might have a point.

Blitz
Blitz


Wishing you a snowy Sunday and a good week. The fact that I'm listening to The UK 1940s Radio right now has nothing to do with my massive grin. x

12 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you for being able to go out that door when they're closing. (For a moment i was sure you'd refuse to leave) Since i was there with you all the time i don't have to imagine your reactions but i must say i have a huuuuge grin on my face when i look back. Next time, i'll make sure we're visiting there again. AND UPLOAD MORE! Seriously, do it! (Yeah, i know, i should be uploading to, well...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. IWM'ye çok yakın yaşıyorum ama yazını okuyana kadar pek merak etmemiştim doğrusu. Bu şehri bu kadar tutkuyla sevmen çok ne hoş; kültür elçisi seçmeliler seni :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bence de seçmeliler, hala teklif bekliyorum :D Gidip gör mutlaka, güzel bir müze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post. :) I agree, that even though there shouldn't be anything glamorous about war, there sure was beauty in clothing, printed material etc. And what a huge success has this quote "keep calm and..", it's been changed into so many different things nowadays.


    Thanks for your comment! It's snowy, cold and windy here too, that's why I've just been loving to look at something different from my computer - and share it with you all :) And I mostly gather my images from tumblr etc. and I haven't seen many pretty winter photos there..yet. Maybe I'll do a little search around wolrd wide web. :]

    Have a lovely day (those woolly socks are perfect coice by the way!^^),

    xx Satu
    Indie by Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I have no idea how anyone survived the Blitz or war in general. Living in a country that hasn't had war on its soil in so long makes you greatful for that. I think that's where a lot of the romanticism from that period comes from. It seems so unlikely for anyone to survive that almost anything seems possible.
    ~Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pics :) Happy Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so fun to be able to see what people are interested in in their blog posts. I love that you have such a nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post and photos, really

    xx

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is heaven, really. It's not often I find blogs I fawn over. But your blog has a sweet wisdom - I leave feeling fed after reading your words / and seeing your images.

    Stay wonderful!

    sending you happy spells

    amyflyingakite.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Nana was evacuated from London during the war, and still has a large collection of blitz memorabilia. It is fascinating!

    x
    Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a word: