09 June 2012

How can I go to Sultanahmet? / Istanbul not Constantinople (5)

Can Atilla - 1453

'How can I go to Sultanahmet?' is a common joke in Turkey because most of the tourists come up and ask the same question since forever. So if you come to Istanbul and ask a local that question, don't be surprised if they start to laugh. No harmful thoughts, only the humour of the obvious.

Last Istanbul set is for Sultanahmet which is a place I absolutely adore. I admire Ottoman history and even though the guys were a bit creepy (no offense), they have left a remarkable amount of historic places. It's a pity that our people have such slight ideas about how to properly protect a historical artifact.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these too.

Hagia Sofia
Hagia Sofia (Αγιά Σοφιά)  is not actually a mosque. It was an Orthodox patriarchal basilica from the date of its dedication in 360 until 1453. After the Conquest in 1453, it was turned into a mosque until it was turned into a museum in 1935. You have to see the inside, it's one of my favorite places ever, such an architectural marvel. Lovely place.

Sultanahmet
Sultanahmet
Sultanahmet
Sultanahmet
 The line in front of Hagia Sofia was insanely long so we skipped the inside tour this time and went to Sultanahmet Mosque instead. Such a fantastic building again, it was crowded as well but you don't need a ticket to go inside so we didn't have to wait in the line. It was built from 1609 to 1616 and even though tourists occupy the place, it's still used as a mosque and a place for prayer. I can only imagine the view from its minarets.

Sultanahmet
Sultanahmet Sultanahmet
Sultanahmet
Sultanahmet
Sultanahmet
Sultanahmet
(Photo courtesy: Wikipedia. My own photo was too blurry because there is not enough light in the cistern, oh well.)

The Basilica Cistern is another favorite (and it's always so cool in summer). It was built by Byzantine Emperor Justinian I in 6th century. (It was also used as a location in a James Bond movie 1963, how cool.)

Sultanahmet
Sultanahmet
North Shield
North Shield
North Shield
North Shield
Melis from Confessions of a Coffeholic
Galata
Sultanahmet

Aaand, we're done. I'm proud of myself. Have a nice weekend xx

8 comments:

  1. These are exactly what I like to see, a world I am not familiar with. Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I can visit Istanbul one day, for now I'll just go there through your pictures which are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those buildings are so beautiful. I hope I can see them in person one day. It's on the list! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. the architecture is just so beautiful, and so much history interweaved into it.
    thanks for the tour... and i'll keep in mind to look for directions to Sultanahmet before i get there lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful; I like the fries in the Chinese steamer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cok guzel, istanbulu özledim..

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a word: