14 September 2012

St Petersburg (1)

Set sail for St. Petersburg
Making use of my time
Cos in three days I'll be out of here
And it's not a day too soon (X)

Greetings all. 

Finally Flickr agreed to cooperate and I could upload a very small portion of the photos I took, so I can post them. -better later then never I guess-

St Petersburg was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The sheltering feeling of something greater than you and being a part of something solid surrounds you. The buildings, the streets, the statues and even the sky is big and open. Russian sky cannot be the same sky I always see upon me. 

The sky was higher and I felt small and it was beautiful.

It was different in everyway; much different than seeing a city that has been the food of media (such as Paris or New York). I didn't know what to expect, I didn't have stereotype images in my head about Russia so meeting something new and beautiful was refreshing. Moscow had its own kind of beauty but St Petersburg was a work of art and it was lovely without being pretentious, it was welcoming and comforting. I'll miss the palaces, I'll miss the streets, I'll miss the canals and late sunsets. Despite the lack of English or Russians' displeasure of having tourists in their lovely city.

Thepe photos are such a small part of the ones I have but if I decided to post all of them, I would have to change the name of the blog to Russian Tea and as lovely as it sounds, I'll postpone it. (Russian Earl Grey is my new lover and I'm cheating on the classic Earl Grey without a shame.)

The majority of the photos are from The Hermitage (Winter Palace, or a small piece of heaven as I call it). I've admired the Winter Palace for longer than I can tell so being in the palace felt unreal. I want to go back to The Hermitage and spend days and days wandering inside the palace.


St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg

For Part 2, stay tuned. Have a lovely Friday and enjoy your weekend. x

11 comments:

  1. such lovely photos, so fascinating city...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodnes gracious!!! There is just so much beauty in this post, i'm overwhelmed so I cant even imagine how you must have felt being there. Thank you for sharing it all, I have to go there I'm moving it to the top of my list.
    I think 'Russian Tea' has a nice ring to it. ;-)
    Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful pictures they have made my morning. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, how beautiful. Who doesn't adore St Petersburg?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, wow, the pictures are beautiful. Indeed, it's so much better to get to know a place rather than have an image in your head beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos! I'm so jealous of your Russian holiday! It's so beautiful! Could you imagine what it must have looked like at the height of the Romonov dynasty?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The architecture is stunning. I would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are stunning and the architecture is so impressive - I think this needs to go on my list!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh it looks amazing! I would love to visit one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chanced upon your blog and enjoy reading it!

    This photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived in both Saint Petersburg and Moscow, and my heart melts looking at your photos. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a word: