24 September 2012

St Petersburg (3) Catherine's Palace

Last post of St Petersburg, I'm sad to say but not the least at all. We spent a long afternoon at Catherine's Palace after visiting Peterhof Palace by the sea. This is my favorite palace after Hermitage (obviously) but it was such a wonderful place that I couldn't stop but staring at everything with awe. It was enormous with high ceilings, hundreds of mirros, painted ceilings and countless golden details. It had a lovely garden too and the belonings of Nicholas II and his family were there as well. As a person who has a legitimate crush on Nicholas II, you would guess how glad I was. I love the last Tsar and his family. I love their sad history and Rasputin is an incredible character in the history of Imperial Russia so their reign just delights me. Can't help it.

Also, if there is anyone who's interested/curious; Catherine's Palace is the palace that is inaccurately used as the home of last imperial family, in Fox's animated movie Anastasia in 1997. It's one of my favorite movies ever and I have to say, even though it doesn't have any historical accuracy whatsoever, it was still exciting.

Hope you enjoy.

St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg St Petersburg
St Petersburg
St Petersburg

Oh and, this little bird house was in a garden right outside the palace. The garden was incredibly beautiful in a very shabby and rustic way - all wild flowers and long grass accompanied by ceramic gnomes and adorables figurines. I can't handle the cuteness.

St Petersburg

I think it's time for some real autumn with lots of rain and plaid and coats but nature doesn't listen to me. I feel grumpy.

Hope you all have a great week. xx

5 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow! This place is a photographers dream! And I liked seeing you too ipek! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am allergic to cameras but it's nice to show my face once in a while just so people will know I'm not a cyborg but an actual human being.

      And indeed the place was gorgeous, I could spend a whole day there and it would hardly be enough. I'm sad we didn't get to spend more time at the gardens, they were lovely.

      xxx

      Delete
  2. That ceiling is just amazing! I really have no words.

    Also agree with Paula it was lovely to see your face in there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photos are gorgeous and i just learned that u are not a cyborg or an android :)))
    Actually you are really a pretty lady :DD
    Thank u very much for all these exciting pics; now i just wanna go Russia as soon as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow wow wow! These photo's are just breathtaking! I don't know enough about the last Tsar family and it's something I really want to read up on. You are so beautiful Ipek. I think I would have fallen in love with that garden, along with everytthing else. xx

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a word: